There are now 14 college football games that have been canceled or postponed this week due to Covid-19.
It’s the second straight week college football has lost double-digit games on its schedule. The latest games to be called off are Texas at Kansas and University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), at Colorado State.
The University of Kansas announced today that Saturday’s game against the University of Texas has been rescheduled to Dec. 12 due to Kansas’ “inability to meet to meet the minimum position requirements,” which were established by the Big 12 conference.
Before the season, the Big 12 conference announced, “football cancellation thresholds,” where the minimum number of players required to play in a game was 53 with other minimum requirements for specific position groups.
The affected position group in the Kansas program has a combination of injuries and contact tracing.
The school said in a statement that since Nov. 8, the team has performed 825 Covid-19 tests, with five returning positive.
The Jayhawks next scheduled game is on Nov. 28 against Texas Christian University in Lawrence, Kansas.
The Mountain West Conference (MWC) also announced on Wednesday that UNLV will not travel to Colorado State for Saturday’s game due to positive cases within the UNLV program.
“Over the past six weeks, more than 2,600 tests have been administered to UNLV football student-athletes, coaches, and staff with a positivity rate of less than 0.6 percent,” UNLV director of athletics Desiree Reed-Francois said. “Unfortunately, with a surge in cases in the Las Vegas community and despite the efforts of our student-athletes, coaches, and staff to adhere to health and safety protocols, the decision to not play this weekend is in the best health and safety interests of all involved.”
The 14 college football games affected this week so far are:
- Ohio at Miami University (Ohio)— Canceled
- University of Alabama at Birmingham at University of Texas at El Paso – Canceled
- Ole Miss at No. 5 Texas A&M — Postponed
- Georgia Tech at No. 12 Miami — Postponed
- Charlotte at No. 15 Marshall — Postponed
- Arizona State at Colorado — Canceled
- University of Louisiana Monroe at Louisiana Tech — Canceled
- Wake Forest at Duke — Postponed
- Navy at South Florida — Postponed
- Houston at Southern Methodist University — Postponed
- Central Arkansas at Louisiana-Lafayette — Canceled
- Utah State at Wyoming — Canceled
- Texas at Kansas — Postponed
- UNLV at Colorado State — Postponed