Here are the latest COVID-19 updates, closures and postponements in Central Texas for Thursday, Dec. 3.
AUSTIN, Texas — KVUE is keeping you updated with the latest coronavirus and COVID-19 news in the Austin area.
Scroll down for the top headlines and latest updates in KVUE’s Dec. 3 live blog.
- Texas: More than 1.2 million cases have been reported in the state, and more than 21,700 people in Texas have died, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Central Texas counties:
- Travis County: At least 39,267 cases have been reported and at least 492 people have died. At least 36,268 people have recovered from the virus.
- Hays County: At least 7,592 confirmed cases have been reported and at least 105 people have died. At least 6,718 people have recovered from the virus.
- Williamson County: At least 13,834 cases have been reported in the county and at least 169 people have died. At least 12,647 people have recovered from the virus.
GRAPHS: Coronavirus data Dec. 3
6:30 p.m. – Here’s a closer look at local data for the Austin area:
- 5.62% positivity for the Austin metro
- 7-day average of new cases is now back up to 538 per day, the highest since July 21 and up:
- 12% from a week ago
- 254% from a month ago (3.5x what it was then)
- Note: testing was up 70% over this time period
- Austin-area (TSA O) hospitals
- 243 COVID-19 patients (7.6% share of hospitalizations, 6% of total capacity)
- 20% available/80% full
- Austin-area (TSA O) ICUs
- 77 COVID-19 patients (19% share, 16.6% of total capacity)
- 14% available/86% full
- Up to 32.9 COVID-19 hospital admissions per day over the past week (was at 30 the past 2 days)
5:50 p.m. – Austin-Travis County announces 6 new deaths and 230 new cases. There have now been a total of 39,267 cases, 36,268 recoveries and 492 deaths reported.
5:45 p.m. – Here’s a look a today’s Texas COVID-19 updates:
- 13,857 new cases today for 1,215,113 total
- 244 new deaths for 22,000 even
- 9,151 COVID-19 patients in the hospital statewide, the most since July 31 and up:
- 5% from a week ago
- 54% from a month ago
- Positivity has now spiked over 15%
5:15 p.m. – The Hays County Local Health Department reports one new COVID-related fatality; a Kyle woman in her 60s. The department also reports 66 new lab-confirmed cases, two new hospitalizations, three new hospital discharges and 34 additional people now considered recovered. The total number of individuals considered recovered is 6,718.
Williamson County reports 160 new cases and four more deaths. The county is now reporting a total of 13,834 cases, 12,647 recoveries and 169 deaths.
4:30 p.m. – Manor ISD has been notified that a student at Presidential Meadows Elementary School has tested positive. Students and staff members who have been determined to be in close contact with this student have been asked to self-quarantine. Beginning Dec. 4, asynchronous learning will be available to those affected.
1 p.m. – At a town hall Thursday afternoon, Austin/Travis County Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott said the top three vaccine options (Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca) require two doses. The doses will be free, but a provider can charge an administrative fee for administering the vaccine.
2 p.m. – The town hall with Austin health leaders about vaccine preparation is live on KVUE’s YouTube channel:
8:08 a.m. – At noon, Austin and Travis County health leaders are set to participate in a town hall to discuss the arrival and distribution of the COVID-19 vaccine. The town hall is presented by the Travis County Medical Society and Dell Medical School
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: